5 Benefits of Wood-Burning Stoves
Wood-burning stoves used to be a mainstay in American homes and are still used in many homes today for heating. However, newer technologies have made wood-burning stoves more energy efficient and cleaner burning than they used be.
If you’re considering installing a wood-burning stove, but are still on the fence about it, here are some of the advantages you’ll gain by owning a wood-burning stove.
- You’ll save money. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), today’s wood-burning stoves are up to 80% efficient. And a wood-burning stove can help reduce your heating bills since wood costs less than natural gas, electricity or oil. However, the EPA recommends that you use your stove to supplement an existing heat source like an electric or gas furnace. A wood stove can heat 400 to 3,000 square feet, depending on the stove’s size and your home’s layout. For example, a stove that’s rated at 42,000 BTUs can heat up to 1,300 square feet.
- Your family will be warmer. While your central heating system is supposed to keep you warm, it often doesn’t. The radiant warmth from a wood-burning stove will keep your family more comfortable during those cold winter months.
- Wood-burning stoves are environmentally friendly. Wood is a “green” fuel alternative since trees are a sustainable, renewable resource. While some communities may restrict the use of wood-heating appliances due to unacceptable air quality levels, newer wood-burning stoves with low emission technologies clean exhaust gases, so they generate less smoke with fewer particle emissions. In fact, EPA-certified, wood-burning stoves emit fewer fine particles compared to fireplaces and older wood-burning stoves, according to the EPA.
- Wood-burning stoves provide heat during power outages. If you have a wood-burning stove, you don’t have to worry about not having heat if your electricity or natural gas goes out during a winter storm. Plus, you can also cook on your stove.
- Wood-burning stoves make a beautiful addition to any home. On cold winter evenings, a wood-burning fire makes any room more appealing. Since wood-burning stoves come in a variety of different shapes, sizes, colors and styles, there’s a stove that will fit your home’s décor.
As you can see there are many benefits to owning a wood-burning stove. If you’re looking to buy a wood-burning stove for your home, come visit the showroom at T.J.’s Chimney Service in Greenfield, IN, to see our samples. Once you’ve picked the perfect wood-burning stove, our professionals can install your stove, ensuring it operates properly to keep your family warm, comfortable and safe. For more information about T.J.’s Chimney Service, contact us today.