6 Benefits of Tuckpointing
Have you noticed that the mortar in your masonry chimney is cracked, flaking off or missing? Or maybe you’ve noticed that the mortar in places doesn’t seem to be level with the rest of the mortar between the bricks. Or, maybe you’ve noticed you’re chimney is leaning. These are all signs that your chimney may need tuckpointing.
While the bricks in your chimney can last around 100 years, the mortar (a cement-type material) between them only lasts about 25 years, depending on weather exposure and the actual mortar materials used. Overtime, when the mortar is exposed to water from rain, snow and ice, it can soften, deteriorate and weaken the structural support of the bricks surrounding it. Once this damage occurs, the old mortar needs to be removed and replaced with fresh, new mortar. This mortar repair process is called tuckpointing or repointing.
In order to preserve the life of your chimney, tuckpointing is an important waterproofing/repair and restoration service that’s best performed by an experienced masonry company, like T. J.’s Chimney Service located in Greenfield, Indiana.
Some benefits you’ll receive by hiring us to tuckpoint your chimney include:
- Further mortar deterioration will be stopped before more serious problems occur.
- The mortar joints of your chimney will be strengthened, restoring the structural stability of your chimney.
- Moisture will no longer be able to get into your chimney system, causing mold, mildew and rotting wood. Also, water won’t be able to get in around your chimney, which could lead to a damaged ceiling and stained walls.
- You’ll save money. By tuckpointing, you may avoid a complete tear-down and rebuild of your chimney, which can be costly.
- Once tuckpointing has been completed, your chimney will look practically brand new, restoring the overall appearance of your home.
- With your chimney’s masonry in top condition, the value of your home will improve.
Summer is the perfect to time to have your chimney tuckpointed before winter comes around again and causes further damage to your chimney. If you think your chimney needs tuckpointing, contact the experts at T. J.’s Chimney Service today at (317) 462-4759 or complete our online form by clicking this link. We can answer all of your questions about your chimney system and determine if your chimney will benefit from tuckpointing.