Why Should I Have My Chimney Inspected Every Year?
The winter months are just around the corner, which makes it a perfect time to have your chimney swept. The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) recommends an annual inspection to help prevent any of the issues that may lead to damage in your home. Below are the top five reasons you should have your chimney inspected and swept:
- Safety – Creosote is a carcinogenic substance that gathers in your chimney over time. Besides being detrimental to your health, creosote can be extremely dangerous if left untreated. Large build-ups are a substantial fire hazard.
- Animals – Birds, raccoons, and other animals often build nests in chimneys. Though animals are a nuisance, an even bigger concern is the fecal matter they leave behind. The extreme temperatures in your chimney can release damaging chemicals and unpleasant odors.
- Weather Issues – Over time, water can cause significant wear to your chimney. Lightning strikes are another hazard. A timely inspection can catch any weather-related problems before they become severe.
- Cracks – Even the best made chimneys wear down. Cracks in the foundation are a common occurrence. An annual inspection is a simple way to stay on top of the situation.
- Peace of Mind – Whether you use your chimney throughout the cold months or not at all, having a professional take a look ensures that you can avoid the unexpected. It’s just one less thing you need to worry about.
Questions? Give us a call today – (317) 462-4759 … One of our courteous technicians would be happy to speak with you.